After a mixed PPV in Bragging Rights, WWE Monday Night Raw followed up with a show in Buffalo, NY hosted by two NASCAR studs — Kyle Busch and Joey Logano. These two were, by far, the least interesting guest hosts to me, but I completely understand that NASCAR has a huge following. Anyway, here are some random thoughts on tonight’s Raw.
– Chris Jericho is just amazing. Like Hammer, he’s magic on the mic. I loved how he smiled proudly, holding up the Bragging Rights trophy, and I love how he cleared out when the cards were stacked against Big Show. One of the most impressive things about Jericho’s current run is that he can lose and still remain strong. Tonight was another example of that. He lost, still maintained his spot on the totem poll, and was able to give Kofi Kingston the rub.
– Speaking of Kofi, it’s awesome that he finally dropped the goofy Jamaican accent. His promo on Orton was very good — way better than I thought he was capable of at this stage. It’s funny, I didn’t know that Kofi’s accent was a work until I was eating with him at Summer Slam ’09. He just started speaking in a neutral American accent and it totally froze me.
– I’m digging that Sheamus is on Raw. I thought he was pretty excellent in ECW. He has a good chance at reaching the U.S. Championship/Intercontinental Championship level. Personally, I’d love to see him in a tag team with R-Truth. The contrast in skin tones would be hilarious. They could be called Ebony & Ivory. Plus, they’d already have entrance music thanks to Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney.
– Another joke stable I’d love to see is Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, and Chris Masters. This lisping trio would cut some phenomenal promos that would take WWE unintentional comedy to new heights. I’m telling you, it would be brilliant.
– I actually like the idea of a Cena vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels triple threat. It’s one of the more interesting things the WWE could do. It also makes sense. The DX DVD and book are already out, so it’s time for WWE to cool it on that merchandise train. Trips has shown how ruthless he can for championship gold and the HBK marks (like me) would love Shawn to have another championship run.
– As for Cena, I’m so bored with him. I hate to say it because the few times I’ve met him, he’s been super nice and he’s a fantastic ambassador for the WWE. I just think he’s boring in the ring. My dream — that will never happen — would be for Cena to head to ECW for two years. Yeah, I know. Keep dreaming.