Hi all! Thanks for leaving comments while I’ve been in New York dealing with a sickness in the family. It’s been tough, but things are getting better. Also, I’m pretty sure that my knees have frozen off. It’s hard for me to deal with this kind of weather; not really sure how I grew up like this. A decade in California and a year in Thailand have definitely thinned out my blood.
Now for a random food rant! Here are some photos of some of the goodies I gobbled up with my brother, as well as a checklist of what we ate.
- Pizza (three times) — It’s still mind boggling that 99.9 percent of the pizza places in California can’t come close to NY pizza.
- Bagels (two times) — It’s not as bad as the pizza, but NY bagels make CA bagels look silly.
- Dunkin’ Donutes (two times) — This is more of a nostalgia thing. I generally prefer mom-and-pop bakery donuts.
- Black and White Cookie — Another thing that’s hard to find in California. It seems so simple, yet….
- Hot-Open Turkey — I miss East Coast diners. The ones in CA are healthier, but the variety and portions aren’t the same.
- Mozzarella Fries with Gravy — It’s almost like poutine, but without the curds. Another one of my diner favorites.
- Hot Dog — Onions and sauerkraut, naturally.
My brother and I were planning to hit up White Castle, but didn’t get around to it. Sure, you can buy the frozen ones at the grocery, but it’s not the same. Also, the jalapeño cheeseburgers aren’t available frozen. I’ll regret not grabbing White Castle when I was so close to it, but pizza was clearly the most important foodstuff to get.
I’m actually writing this from JFK and have several hours before my flight. Regular posting will resume shortly. I missed you guys!