Legendary baseball manager Tony La Russa is teaming up with legendary game designer Don Daglow for Tony La Russa’s Baseball with Fans. The two have collaborated several times in the past on the popular Tony La Russa Baseball games for PC. This time around, the dynamic duo is working on a mobile game with a strategic slant. Here are some details from the game’s Kickstarter page:
- A new kind of Baseball game that lets you challenge your friends to see who really knows how to handle those tough calls in the dugout.
- An interface and design created “from the ground up” just for touchscreens, not re-purposed from existing mouse or console systems.
- On-field play that’s based on a physics-driven 3D engine, but displayed in a way that makes the action easy to follow on a smartphone screen.
- A single-player option that lets you prove your managerial prowess by challenging Tony La Russa, with AI that Tony himself designed.
- A game that kids and casual baseball fans can play and enjoy, but that offers depth and subtlety for sophisticated Baseball experts.
- Stat and roster displays designed for fans, not CPA’s, with more detailed data a tap away.
Concept art and graphics aren’t available yet, but expect more visual details in future updates.
As a total mark for Don Daglow, I’m really psyched for this game. I’m also intrigued by a managerial baseball game for mobile devices. Considering the limitations of touch controls, a full-on baseball sim doesn’t work for me, but a managerial game has a ton of potential.
What do you think of a strategic baseball game for mobile devices? Any of you interested in Tony La Russa’s Baseball with Fans?